Friday 17 August 2012

Thing 11 - Mentoring

My initial reaction to this topic was that I'm relatively new to mentoring - having recently had my first meeting with my Chartership mentor.  But as I read the recommended articles for this topic I have realised that I have had previous mentors, I just never gave them that title.  Even within the category of informal mentor I can think of a couple of different experiences. 

In the first case I almost 'fell' into what I now recognise as a mentoring relationship.  This happened when I moved from the corporate world to my first qualified post in public libraries.  I worked with many people with lots more experience than I had.  But the crucial point with this particular person, was that she was as predisposed to share that knowledge and experience with me, as I was to soak it up.  With hindsight, we can chalk it up to good personality matches and good timing.  But it worked - I learnt so much and was a better public librarian for it.  We remain very good friends despite my move away from Kent.

My second example of an informal mentor fits Pricilla Shontz's suggestion of a 'pro-active protege': "surround yourself with positive people who are generally upbeat and have a positive, proactive attitude".  A major incentive for my application to my current position was the opportunity to work with, and learn from a school library professional of whom I was already aware and who's work I respected.  Having met through our local SLA branch and SLS meetings, I was ready to 'visit' in order to glean ideas and see her in action.  However, before I could arrange that, a position working directly with her became available.  I can honestly say that the I have learnt more in the last year than during the three years at my previous school.  The key, perhaps, being to have enough confidence to to just try things out and have a go.  She has been my fiercest supporter as I struggled to find an 'official' chartership mentor and has kept me 'ticking over' with all chartership entails in the meantime. 

Having finally found my 'official' mentor for chartership, I can look back at what I was expecting a year ago.  The title mentor was big and scary, the concept felt new and unknown.  But this task has really brought home to me that mentoring relationships can happen much more naturally whenever and wherever those that are eager to learn manage to collide with those who are willing to share.  Surely that should be everywhere?

No comments:

Post a Comment