Friday 11 May 2012

A Lurker No More...

It felt like such a big deal posting on Monday evening, I never really expected anyone to read it.  However, when showing a colleague on Tuesday, I was astounded to discover that someone had actually commented.  I was really excited that someone wholly unconnected with me would find value in my random thoughts.

So as I moved on to Thing 2, I had this excitement, this sense of validation in the back of my mind as I explored a variety of other blogs.  There are some amazing examples out there and it can make you feel a bit inadequate.  I have been reading a range of blogs on a range of topics for the last year or so, but I never (or rarely) took the time to post a comment when something struck a cord with me. I was a 'lurker'.  Why was that? How many times could I have put someone in a good mood, made them feel good about themselves, or backed up their thoughts with my own experience or suggestions. 

We all have to start somewhere.  As I got to grips with CPD23 this week, I have been trying to leave a comment or two behind me.  Some words of encouragement.  Agreement with someone's thoughts.  Or simply an introduction.  Just to say "This is me.  I agree with/enjoyed/thought about what you posted."  At the end of the day, it's a much friendlier way to interact electronically and, as a librarian, I am all about being approachable and  friendly!

4 comments:

  1. Hello there. I think there are an awful lot of us 'lurkers' out there in cpd23-land, so this rang very true! This'll be my first comment, so my first step into the 'no more' category. Looking forward to reading future posts - good luck with the rest of the programme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I too have just started on the process, still feeling a bit nervous! I did something in the very early days when we did our IT passports in a previous job, but this feels much more relevant (hopefully). There are some fantastic blogs on the list, and mine looks very sad by comparison, so I need to work out how to jazz it up a bit!
    My main concern at this point is, having made the committment to start, finding enough time to keep the momentum going.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, I hope you enjoy stepping out of the shadows. I also see this as an opportunity to stop consuming and start creating. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello fellow lurker! I too have always been reluctant to add comments to anyone's posts but have become a convert since receiving some comments on my own blog (thanks CPD23). My immediate reaction was "Hey, someone's actually interested in what I have to say!" I suspect we share one of the least understood/most underestimated careers and consequently when we find someone who understands and shares what motivates us, it's quite a big deal! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete