Monday 7 May 2012

23 Things start with 1 step

So here I am, taking my first steps on CPD23.  It seems slightly surreal, as I only came across 23 Things last week when it was retweeted.  And yet it immediately got my interest...

I have been trying to get started on my CILIP chartership since January - my employers have been financially supportive, my line manager the most encouraging I could wish for.  But the main issue has been finding a mentor - and whilst I started off all keen, did the portfolio-building course, etc. I can feel my resolve slipping with every very advice-laden, but polite rejection.  I have been keeping up with the blogs, lurking around the chartership chats on twitter and generally researching everything I should be doing. But all in all, I feel almost paralysed by lack of direction. 

Everything I have read talks of chartership being a journey of 'reflection'.  However, I feel most panicked that I won't be able to do that???  But why?  I am a library professional with over a decade of experience.  If I am honest, something has changed  recently.  My children are older, I'm full-time again (juggling everything is manic, but I love it!) and my career sudden feels important again, rather than something to bring in a few extra pounds.  It's exciting, but scary at the same time.  Suddenly my CPD matters to me again. 

So why did CPD23 resonate so immediately?  I can see that it will simply act as a guide for all the things I want to try, as a focus for my chartership journey, as a push to get me started.  I mean, look at me already... reflecting. 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Savvy and welcome to cpd23. Frankly brilliant opening post, by the way, I'm very chuffed I found it and enjoyed reading it. Really glad the programme caught your attention and hope it'll help with the chartership progress.

    I did cpd23 last year and found it really helpful to discover people at a similar stage from me. Because librarians tend to be such a proactive clever bunch I often feel that they know EXACTLY what they're doing while I'm scrambling around in the dark. Doing cpd23 didn't particularly dispel the myth that they've all got their heads screwed on properly, but it *did* give me some people to copy ;)

    Good luck with the programme!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from another school librarian dipping a tentative toe into the world of The 23 Things. I have to confess that I abandoned the chartership process as I found it difficult to focus on what particular path I should be following. This programme appeals because it is structured and many of the "things" will be useful and relevant.
    I enjoyed reading your post and am already starting to feel more at ease with the whole blogging thing!
    Good luck, Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to see some other school librarians here! I have been in post here for about 23 years, having got chartered in my previous job (a school of nursing library). It was an exercise in perseverance getting through it all - but I was very lucky in finding a chartered librarian on the same hospital site to act as a mentor. Keep going, Savvy - you'll find someone soon!

    So, this is my second day of being a part of the 23 Things - I saw it last year, but didn't get around to joining in, so I thought I should this time. I don't get to do cpd much now - being a solo librarian (& also a carer), I can't get out to anything any more, like I used to be able to, so this kind of online education is a life-line! Good luck to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a fellow school librarian who qualified in 2004, I had to leave a message of support re chartership. It took me until last year to finally get myself going with chartering - having a baby seemed to get in the way a bit - and even though I am doing it now, I am struggling every step of the way and I hope CPD23 is going to help me to finally finish and submit. Keep going. It will be worthwhile for us in the end I am sure

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also being new to 23 things - this is a first for me posting a comment on a blog! Having chartered a number of years ago when I worked in public libraries - I can say keep going. I started an MA this year and my first essay was a reflective piece on work I had done in my previous school librarian post on the EPQ - it has been quite difficult to get back into that reflective mindset but do keep going it will come. I too am hoping that 23 things will help me with my MA and encourage me to be more reflective and more proactive in my role. I have been a school librarian for 7 years now and really enjoy it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great positive comments but then again it was a fab opening post! I too work in a school library, love the job and wide variety of roles/challenges it brings. I'm really looking forward to exploring new areas of ICT within CPD23 and not only reading about them but using them too! best wishes, Julia

    ReplyDelete